Thursday, October 6, 2011

WotC President Greg Leeds' Interview

As most of us are by now aware, the people over at ICv2 have posted a two-part interview with Greg Leeds, the CEO of Wizards of the Coast, that they had with him back on September 19th.

Part One of the interview can be found here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21062.html and Part Two can be found here: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/21063.html

The Greyhawk Gorgnard blog site called my attention to this interview. I'm not trying to rehash any old news with this post. No, I'm posting this strictly for those among us, at Canonfire!, that might not have read the interview for ourselves.

What struck me as the real significance of this interview for Canonfire! fans is the fact that Mr. Leeds spoke very little about plans for D&D in general and made no mention at all about any plans for the Greyhawk setting. All in all, the interview was little more than a hype for Magic the Gathering. But I'll leave it for you, the readers to decide.

Basically, this interview means that the immediate future of the Greyhawk setting is left in the care of its fans, just as it was in '94 and '95. But, given the amount of creativity and effort that fans have shown, throughout Canonfire's history, we can get the setting revived once again.

6 comments:

  1. Nice post MS never bothered with part 2 will give it a read later.

    Argon

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty standard as Wizards interviews go I felt. Yeah, they have no plans to do anything retro this year. They did leave the door open though. They are just waiting for the right outcry for it, so...more hawk talk, more chance they bring it back. Plain and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WotC is simply waiting for the release of the iPad 3, before releasing a new edition of D&D, as 5e will be released solely as an iPad app.

    As for Oerth, the only thing that might placate all of the GH fans would be a rules-agnostic supplement - all fluff and no crunch.

    Aeo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm ... did I miss something there, or was there something that made us believe that there might be some D&D or GH stuff in this interview?

    It seems as though it's just an interview with a Corporate Guy, who's touting their whole company, (especially MtG). I'm not going to be mad at them for it ... I wouldn't have any kind of expectation that they'd talk GH - or even just retro - stuff.

    Hm. Maybe it's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to be pedantic (well, I actually enjoy it), but it's "Greyhawk Grognard". Not Gorgnard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MS,

    I need to crack a whip on you whens your next blog?

    Later

    Argon

    ReplyDelete