Those of you who visit Canonfires' weekly Thursday night chats know Michael's take on the downfall of the Flan empire in Greyhawk...
Michael surmises that Demogorgon sort revenge-because the flan gave him a name. By giving him a name, they helped shape him, and took some of his power by doing so. The sibilant beast was now bound by a name. As such, he used the migrating oeridians' as his main vessel, to strike down, those who dared bind him by name.
Oddly enough nothing in canon contradicts this theory. Though one can piece the corruption of Kargoth and thirteen other Knight Protectors, to Demogorgon's continuation of quelling those who dared to name him.
I'd like to know what you think about one of our fellow Greyhawkers' theory on the downfall of the flan.
Later
Argon

If so, then you should post this as a Thread on Canonfire!
ReplyDeleteI'm just saying. ;)
The idea was to draw some traffic to the blog. Though I do agree the front page of CF needs to reflect an excerpt not the entire post. I will mention this to the Psmedger and see if the sage can fix this.
ReplyDeleteNow, I'm thinking you probably aided in naming the sibilant beast in the first place.
Later
Argon
Mwahahahahahaha!
ReplyDeleteVecna is not the ONLY servant of The Serpent! He who men call . . . Mok'slyk! He of the Ancient Brethren, Patron of the Flan Peoples, God of the Ur-Flan, Enemy of the hated Sibilant Beast. He who we DARE to NAME . . . Demogorgon!
Meaning that Mok'slyk of the Ancient Brethren (God-like beings) is probably a devoted FOE of Demogorgon.
Does THAT get the conversation rolling?
Mwahahahahahahaha!
Ya know, I really should write up the 'setting' of the Ancient Flan Golden Age and its Fall.
ReplyDeleteActually, I've already got two Caerdiralor stories posted to Canonfire! with a third one on my computer. Got side tracked. Probably need to "get back to" Caerdiralor. ;)
ReplyDeleteMichael and Mystic,
ReplyDeleteYou both need to continue your work. Those Caerdiralor articles are awesome. Michael if you have not read them already, then you should give them a read. I think it would help with your Flan Golden Age and Fall project.
I for one believe it does not fly in the face of canon (for those who subscribe to everything must follow canon). Though I care not if it were received that way.
Looking forward to more development on both of your projects.
Later
Argon
"I for one believe it does not fly in the face of canon (for those who subscribe to everything must follow canon)."
ReplyDeleteI agree, especially considering the fact that "Canon" does not exist before 571 CY. Oh, there are "mentions" of this and that, but nothing really set in stone: Caerdiralor existed and "fell," no details given. That's all the "Canon" there is, really.
It's all an open book waiting for some one to write the words and fill up the pages! I am happy to do so. Glad you're enjoying it, Argon. Now I'll have to tidy up that third story and get it posted for you!
Mwahahahahahahahaha!
Mystic,
ReplyDeleteGlad to here there is another installment on the way.
Later
Argon