Saturday, January 31, 2015

Favorite Edition of D&D





I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for over twenty years now. Over that time I've found that everyone plays the game for different reasons. Some love the role playing aspect of the game. Others like a place to escape where their characters have more control over things then the player has in real life. Some of us just like rolling high numbers on dice and getting the maximum effect from a pure gaming aspect...

What I have learned over those years,is that most Dungeon and Dragons fans have there favorite edition. I have my favorite though I've played my fair share of them. I'm not going to reveal my favorite edition just yet. Though I would like to hear from the community. What edition of Dungeon and Dragons is your favorite and why?

Now remember I just want your favorite edition and why. No bashing other editions or other members of the community because their view differs from your own. Just what edition you champion and why?

Thanks
Argon 

   

14 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed every edition of D&D from the Basic red box to 3.5e, specifically because each new edition added new options for character development.

    I was hesitant to transition over to Pathfinder because leaving Dungeons & Dragons for another company felt like a betrayal of sorts. However, I eventually made the leap and I have loved Pathfinder ever since.

    SirXaris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I started in 79 or 80. I have played from basic to 5th. When it comes to game play, 3.5. But, playing basic or 1st ed. takes be back to when I was a wee lad. So I am torn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't put my finger on any one edition, I never really cared for 4e, and 3e wore me thin after 10 years of it and Pathfinder. So I may have to say Mentzer's Redbox ranks high, I also love the Rules Cyclopedia. 5e has got me very hopeful, I have seen nothing at all that leads me to think its a "bad" edition, I don't think any edition has been "bad".

    I love 1e, but of late we have been killing it with 2e...Wow, I dont think I have a "favorite"....

    ERIC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started with Chainmail (yes, the long ago). I played through every edition up to 4e. That didn't seem much like 'D&D' to me, so I made the move over to Pathfinder. Have been moving stuff over ever since. The robustness of the PF ruleset (especially when combined with the d20 legacy stuff) is what works for me. There are things possible (now) in the game we could only dream about (poorly) 40 years ago. But ultimately I think it is truly a 'what works best for you and your friends' thing... I know people still playing the 1st edition and others who are happily trying out 5e.

    But for me and mine, PF Greyhawk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started playing D&D in 1977 with the Holmes Basic set, migrated to AD&D in 1980, and then stopped playing D&D (save for occasional one shots) with the advent of 2e. I never gave up on Greyhawk though, and bought a number of 2e GH books/sets upon release (some of which I shouldn't have bought, in retrospect ;) ). I got back into D&D with 3.0's "Return to the Dungeon" and its emphasis on Greyhawk, and stuck with 3.x through 3.5 (which we mashed together into 3.35 or so in Marc Tizoc's campaign). I've not played 4e or 5e thus far. When I moved back to KS from CA in 2005, I was able to return to AD&D 1e, my first love, and I haven't looked back.

    I've both played and run 3.x games, so when I say that I love AD&D primarily from the DM's POV, I mean that in the sense that for me, it's a far quicker and simpler system in which I can create NPCs, monsters, new spells, magic items, etc. than I could do in 3.x (too many options for me to track and manage). I've also found 1e the easiest system for me to improve within while DMing, too.

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss the historical pantheons of AD&D. That was my favorite version. Still have all my 1st and 2nd edition books. Playing in a 5e campaign now, and like it too. Just can't be a cleric for THOR anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will put it like this ,the word THACO is still used. I have the 3e books and the core 4e books.I have had to start playing in the Forgotten Realms since most people where I live don't either like Greyhawk or never played it.I will play anything but 4e,i just don't like what they did to D&D in that edition .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, my favorite one is the one with good friends around playing.with me. Mechanics change, companionship and friendship doesnt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite is 1e, with a little 2e thrown in to flesh it out. For this reason I play Hackmaster 4e, which is a good blend of the two editions. I like the simplicity of play and the flexibility for a GM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The times I remember the most fondly are from 1st edition as a player. As a DM it would be 3.5 because I got to pass along my D&D knowledge to the next generation, my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've played every edition of the game, from the basic red box set to the current 5th edition of the game. I've always played the latest edition of the game as I like trying the new things each edition has presented. I've enjoyed the evolution and de-evolution of the game over the decades. As new as 5th edition is, it's my favorite iteration of the game. The spirit of former editions has been captured and many of the positive elements of the last thirty or years have been carefully added. It runs smoothly, and I really like the pillars of exploration and social interaction 5th edition codifies. It's an easy game to learn and easier to run.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've played them all, but 1st ed. AD&D is the edition I keep coming back to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've played them all, but 1st ed. AD&D is the edition I keep coming back to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say that Every Edition has had something to offer, but my favourite Edition was AD&D 1 edition

    ReplyDelete